• Welcome to the all-new Kolakube support, the official place to get help for Marketers Delight, XFtoWP, CryptoWP, and other WordPress products! Please login with your account details to access private support forums.

Where to translate this...

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Md
Reaction score
Can you see the POST TO FACEBOOK below:

1586706478071.png

I tried to find it with LocoTranslate but was unsuccessful, have a look at my search request and the results (where "Post to..." does not appear):

1586706588825.png

So, how to translate this in my language?

Maikel

Md
Reaction score
You don't need to change anything in the translation files. You can edit it in the editor. Check it out below:

Apr-13-2020 00-13-50.gif

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Md
Reaction score
Hey @Maikel that's great!

1/ One issue: My space bar does not work when editing the text. So I get all the words stuck together (I was able use the arrow key just for the first word):
1586816238691.png

2/ Still, I would like to get the default text in FRENCH. Why can't find it in the resources to translate with LocoTranslate?
Where can I find this text, may be in the CSS somewhere?

PS 1: By the way, what soft did you use to create the smooth animated gif?
PS 2: Is theere a way to subscribe to a thread of this forum when you forgot to select the option when creating it?

Comment

Maikel

Md
Reaction score
1/ I don't know why the spacebar doesn't work for you. I tried it in different browsers, but couldn't replicate this problem. :-(

2/ I checked the code and Alex also made the text translatable from the translation file. This doesn't work for you because your translation is based on your child theme. That's why you're having the error aswell.

The correct way to add translation with Loco translate is to go Loco Translate -> Themes -> Marketers delight. Create a template (it will be based of the .pot and the files). After that you can add a new language. Choose your Language and the location "System".

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-14 om 15.21.30.png

If you search for the translation. You should find it:

Schermafbeelding_2020-04-14_om_15_21_46.png

I can understand you don't want to lose the translations you already made. You can also move your translation file via FTP to wp-content/languages/themes. Make sure the filename is correct. In your case it should be md-fr_FR.po and md-fr_FR.po.

You can select the "Sync" button. in loco translate to update the translatable strings.

PS 1: I use Giphy Capture. It's free, but for Mac only. The files also can get big.
PS 2:
I'm not certain if you have the same buttons on top of the page. But you can try the Watch button if you have it.

Schermafbeelding_2020-04-14_om_15_33_16.png

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Staff member
Md
XFtoWP
Reaction score
Amazing answers @Maikel, I don't think I would have known that so quickly!

For forum notifications go to your preferences and make sure your account is setup to watch your threads @Some French Dude.

Attachments

• Image 2020-04-14 at 8.45.50 AM.png
    Image 2020-04-14 at 8.45.50 AM.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 4
Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Md
Reaction score
@Maikel, thanks so much for your very detailed explanations. (y)

1/ Spacebar: Same behavior in Chrome and Edge. That's the only key on my keyboard not working in this specific context. WEIRD! I cn repeat the behavior as much as I want in Chrome. Edge does not help too. I created an animated GIF but this forum does not let me upload it (2,45 Mo).

2/ Regarding the translation, I first have a question (you may not know me as @Alex knows me but please bear in mind that I have no technical education. I just put my hands in the HTML code to do some occasional tweaking, so I'm always cautious not to break anything when touching anything else than simple posts or pages):

My conceptual understanding from MD - generally speaking - was that every customisation you do want to keep in spite of the updates, you need to put it in the Child Theme. => Am I right or wrong here?
I guess that's the reason why I ended up translating the Child Theme when I did it (hard to remember, it's several months ago).

In other words, won't the translation place into wp-content/languages/themes be crashed at every new MD update?

I followed your instructions. Can you please confirm I did things right? Here is what I did:
  1. I went Loco Translate -> Themes -> Marketers delight. I created a template. After that I added a new language (French). I chose the location "System".
  2. Then I went to Themes > md-child-theme where I found fr_FR.mo and fr_FR.po. I renamed them into md-fr_FR.mo and md-fr_FR.po

1587051347755.png
    3. I wanted to copy those 2 renamed files into wp-content > themes but I noticed there were already files with the same names. So I just copied the md-fr_FR.mo, since I noticed that md-fr_FR.po was bigger in the themes folder, when compared to the original md-child-theme > languages folder.
    1587051619782.png
Now, I feel confused.
  1. Did I do things right or wrong?
  2. What else should I be doing today? (Should I delete the md-fr_FR.mo and md-fr_FR.po files in the md-child-theme > languages folder, etc.?)
  3. Where should I do my future translations?
  4. Am I safe with respect to future MD updates (meaning my translations won't be deleted, crashed...)
Thank you.

Comment

Maikel

Md
Reaction score
No worries, we will get you where you want to be with the translations. :)

My conceptual understanding from MD - generally speaking - was that every customisation you do want to keep in spite of the updates, you need to put it in the Child Theme. => Am I right or wrong here?
You're completely right. You need to put everything in your child theme to be safe when updating. The translation file is an exception, because WordPress has the languages map for all translations. It would be my best guess to do what you did aswell if i didn't know this.

In other words, won't the translation place into wp-content/languages/themes be crashed at every new MD update?
No, because it's not in the MD folder itself, it won't be updated when you're updating the theme.

I followed your instructions. Can you please confirm I did things right? Here is what I did:
I think the confusing part is my fault, because i maybe didn't explained it in a good way.

Because you created a translation file with Loco translate (step 1 you mentioned), there are already files created in wp-content/languages/themes. The .po file is bigger, because it has all the new translation strings aswell.

From this point you can do the following:
Check Loco Translate -> Themes -> Marketers delight if all your translations are still there.
---- If they are, everything is good and you don't need to do anything.

--------- If the translations are gone. Copy the .po file from /md-child-theme/languages to content/languages/themes with the correct filename (md-fr_FR.po). After that go to Loco Translate and check if the translations are back. They should be there now.
The only thing you need to do now, is click on the "Sync" button. When you do this, Loco Translate will get all the new strings that are in the MD theme.

You are safe for future updates, I never had any problems with this method. :)

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Md
Reaction score
Thanks. Still not sure it works.

1. I deleted all files in wp-content/languages/themes
  2. I copies the files from Themes > md-child-theme to wp-content/languages/themes
    and renamed them into md-fr_FR.mo and md-fr_FR.po
How do you explain I have this:
1587074388918.png
See how I translated (saved and syncrhonized) Post to Facebook into Je teste ceci

Now in Wordpress, I still have the English text:

1587074491535.png

On the published post, I have this:
1587074524626.png
So weird?
Where does JE PARTAGESURFACEBOOK comes from?

I followed your instructions exactly as you said. Not sure why those results?
Should I delete the files from Themes > md-child-theme . Do you think this is what create confusion for Wordpress?

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Md
Reaction score
Still blocked at 73%.

1587118994292.png

Any way, the video will just show you that this feature is blocking my space bar (as describe above) and I can repeat it everyday on my DELL PC + Chrome/Edge + WP + MD. May be @Maikel can't reproduce it because he seems to be on Mac?

Looking forward to your reply on my questions above regarding my .po and .mo files and the weird results on the blog post illustrated. Thx

Comment

Maikel

Md
Reaction score
Now in Wordpress, I still have the English text:

For me it's the same in WordPress. This is a placeholder that can't be translated with Loco Translate. Maybe @Alex can change this.

On the published post, I have this:
That's weird indeed. Beside the translation files in /wp-content/languages/themes/, do you have another translation file of MD somewhere? You should delete this, so it doesn't conflict with the language file you have now.

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Md
Reaction score
Double-checking this: Where should I input my French translations to make them resilient to MD updates?
1 - My MD Child Theme Vs Marketers Delight?
2 - Are there specific words that are not part of My MD Child Theme and that will be erased after each MD update? I guess not...

1594365152900.png

PS: Has @Alex been on vacation on those past weeks? I sent him several messages and got no reply? Do you know if he checks the private messages on this forum? I hope he is fine.

Comment

Maikel

Md
Reaction score
1. MD Child theme.
2. You should be fine with the sync button. Everything that is translatable should be there.

PS: Think he is really busy at the moment. Still see him check the forum sometimes (last seen is today :) )

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Md
Reaction score
Thanks so much for offering this @Ray, I truly appreciate.
Still, those are questions related to a some existing discussion @Alex and I had had a bout the license renewal and also personal questions about my project. Hopefully, he will check his private messages on this forum soon enough to reply.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Ray
Comment

Alex

MD developer
Staff member
Md
XFtoWP
Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed reports here and apologies for not responding when I first read through this thread.

With a plugin I have never used involved it made the issue a little more confusing for me but after testing some things on your site I am going to look in and see if the issue is related to custom button text you try to change just not saving. I will confirm here when done.

Comment