Finally purchased - some questions

ethan

XFtoWP
Reaction score
Hey,

So I finally purchased after putting it off for a few months. So far, so good. A few questions:

1. I have a few thousand users on my Xenforo forum that don't have any type of registration on my wordpress site. I understand Xenforo doesn't transfer over to Wordpress with this plugin, but how do users go about syncing their pre-existing Xenforo account with a new wordpress account? Is that possible in any way? To me, it seems like once they register their username on Wordpress, they'll create a duplicate username on Xenforo? What's the solution to this? Is there a shortcode that can be implemented in the My Account area in Woocommerce that can link up accounts or anything like that?

2. Is there any way to create a boxed version of the Thread comments on Wordpress posts? I couldn't seem to find styling options in regards to that. Is that something that's going to have to be customized by a developer?

3. At this point, is it recommended to just cancel the Xenforo registration option and just redirect forum guests to Wordpress so they can register and create their "master" account on Wordpress and then have it carried over to Xenforo? Is that common practice here?

4. Also, for the life of me, I can't get users to sync when they register on Wordpress. Followed the video, and I can't seem to get it linked.

My settings:

Thanks,

Ethan

Last edited:

Alex

MD developer
Staff member
Md
XFtoWP
Reaction score
Hey @ethan thanks for the purchase!

1. I have a few thousand users on my Xenforo forum that don't have any type of registration on my wordpress site. I understand Xenforo doesn't transfer over to Wordpress with this plugin, but how do users go about syncing their pre-existing Xenforo account with a new wordpress account? Is that possible in any way? To me, it seems like once they register their username on Wordpress, they'll create a duplicate username on Xenforo? What's the solution to this? Is there a shortcode that can be implemented in the My Account area in Woocommerce that can link up accounts or anything like that?
There is currently no bulk syncing tool in XFtoWP, though that is the next major development focus and 1.3 was a big help in getting there. Until then, you can get creative by following your thought below, and you don't necessarily have to close registration on XF:

3. At this point, is it recommended to just cancel the Xenforo registration option and just redirect forum guests to Wordpress so they can register and create their "master" account on Wordpress and then have it carried over to Xenforo? Is that common practice here?

For starters, yes, just as in your case here you registered to the XF site first, then purchased the product which triggered another XF user to get created. Before writing this I had to edit your WP user to un-sync (?) the new account and sync your original forum account. And yes, then delete the new XF user. Luckily that was easy, but not ideal to regularly clean up.

If you can get users to register themselves to WP you can give them a manual verify form in the account area to sync their existing forum usernames. Here's a dressed up example from MD.com, and you've also done this at Xenforo.com to verify your forum account there too:

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.12.58 PM.png

You can drop this shortcode to embed the user verify form. Shows to logged in WP users only:

CSS:
[xf template="user-verify"]

Now since you already have existing forum users you may actually want to disable XFtoWP > User sync > Settings > Sync user registrations as this will give the newly registered WP users a chance to verify their accounts without ever triggering a duplicate user.

Of course we have to account for users who will be newly registered to your site and still need an account on both sites, and this is where User actions come in.

Simply trigger account creation on product purchase only (not general registration), which is where your WooCommerce setup will be helpful:

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.21.40 PM.png

I actually think that could hold you over so long as you write quick instructions for users on how to register and verify to the account area.

2. Is there any way to create a boxed version of the Thread comments on Wordpress posts? I couldn't seem to find styling options in regards to that. Is that something that's going to have to be customized by a developer?
Not 100% sure what you mean here, like adding a background color, border and spacing around the comments? That sounds like some basic CSS.

4. Also, for the life of me, I can't get users to sync when they register on Wordpress. Followed the video, and I can't seem to get it linked.
My suspicions from your screenshots are:

1) API user key may not have the proper user:read or user:write permissions
2) Is API user a super user key?
3) Does API user have Edit Users & Moderators Administrator permission?
4) Seems like you are already past this but just in case: does https://domain.com/api/ return JSON, or an "Error Not Found" message? If not found, you must fix to access your site's API.

Comment

ethan

XFtoWP
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for the response. I implemented this immediately.

One thing I noticed:

I linked my admin account with my account on xenforo using the shortcode (that admin account is also the super user API), and then I unlinked it to test a different account.

When I tried to link up my admin account again, it wouldn't let me. It gave the message that the account has already been verified.

Any reason behind this? Now I can't seem to link my admin account on wordpress with my admin account on Xenforo.

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Staff member
Md
XFtoWP
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for the response. I implemented this immediately.

One thing I noticed:

I linked my admin account with my account on xenforo using the shortcode (that admin account is also the super user API), and then I unlinked it to test a different account.

When I tried to link up my admin account again, it wouldn't let me. It gave the message that the account has already been verified.

Any reason behind this? Now I can't seem to link my admin account on wordpress with my admin account on Xenforo.
Great, I was wondering how it turned out for you!

I have noticed some discrepancies with super admin accounts in my testing. If my memory serves me correctly, I found certain restrictions are placed on super admin accounts over the XF API. My admin account on this forum is not connected to my WP account for that reason.

I'll test this again later today and report back with any specifics, in the least to confirm the super admin sync restrictions.

Comment