• Welcome to the all-new Kolakube support, the official place to get help for Marketers Delight, XFtoWP, CryptoWP, and other WordPress products! Please login with your account details to access private support forums.

CSS + styling improvements

gauravtiwari

Blogger
Md
Reaction score
Website
gauravtiwari.org
We should put more effort towards Auto Dark Mode, Full Site Editing and further styling optimizations.
There are some core areas that are not up to modern CSS standards.

For starters, I'd love to have relative line heights (like 1.5, 1.7) instead of px line heights. This messes up the text in Block Editor –when I increase the font size, the line height remains the same and the paragraph looks odd.

CleanShot 2022-02-13 at 16.28.52.jpg

Alex

MD developer
Staff member
Md
XFtoWP
Reaction score
Good typography ideas, I am in agreement of adding relative and em values to the Site Design > Typography panel. It will benefit the Block editor as we keep up with its changes, and is just a good idea for the overall CSS system.

There are some core areas that are not up to modern CSS standards.
I'm curious to hear more of your ideas here. The MD theme intentionally renders simple CSS that is compiled from dynamic "CSS templates". This let's us use variables from the Site Design panel and other PHP logic to get colors, font sizes, layout settings, and even conditionally load entire blocks of styles.

One "modern standard" could be CSS variables that have come out in recent years. But they haven't seemed necessary to MD since we already have that functionality. I am willing to revisit this since they are not hard to support, and could even improve compatibility with other plugins/Block editor.

Comment

gauravtiwari

Blogger
Md
Reaction score
Website
gauravtiwari.org
I have not many suggestions right now. But from time to time I have felt need of these 4.
  1. First of all, instead of using just pixels as font-sizes, MD can support em, rem, vh, vw and even % font-sizes as well. px should be default though.
  2. When someone uses Google Fonts and, say, if he enters a single font like Open Sans – MD renders font-family: Open Sans; only. There should be a fallback system font, at least sans-serif if not more.
  3. Allowing support of variable fonts will be nice as well. But this is totally optional.
  4. Even in the spacings (header spacing) other units should be allowed instead of just pixels.

Comment