• Welcome to the all-new Kolakube support, the official place to get help for Marketers Delight, XFtoWP, CryptoWP, and other WordPress products! Please login with your account details to access private support forums.

Change XF primary user group

debodle

XFtoWP
Reaction score
I have not yet chosen a plug-in to manage paid subscription memberships (probably will use MemberPress), but would like for your plugin to give the ability to change an XF user's primary group when their membership expires. We currently don't delete users, but change their XF group from "Club Member" to "Former Member". This way, any information they have posted to the forums is still available for Club Members...but Club Members can also see that the poster is no longer a member of the club.

What are the chances of having this feature implemented?

debodle

XFtoWP
Reaction score
Actually - I may have solved my own problem. I need to change our XF users to have the primary user group of Registered with Secondary groups as either Club Member or Former Club Member and use title overrides for each of those groups. This way I can use the xftowp actions to promote based on successful registration and demote based on expired membership. Without doing a lot of testing yet, this concept seems good.

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Staff member
Md
XFtoWP
Reaction score
Hi @debodle, what you are asking for is possible and you sound like you have figured out the promotion/demotion features as intended for use in the plugin.

The only thing worth noting here is that XFtoWP changes secondary usergroups only and never the primary usergroup. XenForo themselves recommend keeping users in the default Registered group and add secondary usergroups to do things like title and permissions overrides.

Since I didn't want to promote habits that go against this important recommendation I decided not to make any features that alter the primary usergroup.

The last takeaway from your posts that I do want to see in XFtoWP is the ability to add usergroups on demotion, which won't be too difficult since they can already be removed, as you've pointed out.

Comment

debodle

XFtoWP
Reaction score
Thanks, Alex...
So I will need to wait for two big needs before going live with your plugin...
1. Bulk sync tool for existing users
2. Ability to Add and Remove secondary usergroups for expired memberships.

Any idea of a timeline for those feature releases?

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Staff member
Md
XFtoWP
Reaction score
1. Bulk sync tool for existing users
I am looking at an early next week for 1.5 beta which has bulk user syncing. The good thing about this kind of a beta plugin is that the processor only needs to work once, and it has proven some spectacular results from my own testing and a large client thus far.

2. Ability to Add and Remove secondary usergroups for expired memberships.
The ability to remove is already possible but I see the value of adding groups. As a workaround, you can send an alert/conversation to let a user know their product has expired.

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Staff member
Md
XFtoWP
Reaction score
Hi @debodle in case you've missed it, XFtoWP 1.5 has been available for over a month with bulk user actions and syncing.

Read more below and let me know what you think:

Comment

debodle

XFtoWP
Reaction score
Hi Alex,
I haven't had a lot of time to work on this, but I have a lot of prep work to do before I can try out your new feature. I needed to go through all the Wordpress users and remove those whose memberships had expired and should have been removed. Right now, we basically have two completely separate login areas - one being Xenforo, the other being Wordpress. Once I have the Wordpress users with only valid and paid members, then I will try the bulk syncing from Wordpress to Xenforo. I will let you know when I've done that. Thanks for getting back to me and for the great plugin!

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Staff member
Md
XFtoWP
Reaction score
I needed to go through all the Wordpress users and remove those whose memberships had expired and should have been removed.
Hopefully your ecommerce plugin makes that easy to filter those active/expired users. Maybe it could be worth trying to invite them back before deletion?

Right now, we basically have two completely separate login areas - one being Xenforo, the other being Wordpress. Once I have the Wordpress users with only valid and paid members, then I will try the bulk syncing from Wordpress to Xenforo. I will let you know when I've done that. Thanks for getting back to me and for the great plugin!
Once users are synced I recommend making the login page from WordPress so you can utilize the single login feature.

Comment