• Welcome to the all-new Kolakube support, the official place to get help for Marketers Delight, XFtoWP, CryptoWP, and other WordPress products! Please login with your account details to access private support forums.

Automating content generation with MD?

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Md
Reaction score
Hello,

I fully understand that my question might outstretch the use and core function of MD but I do think it can also be a good use case and food for thought. Also, I trust @Alex and the MD community to be good people to ask.

Here is my need: I would like to collect data from Goodreads either/or Amazon from books so as to automate content creation for my blog posts.

For those reasons, I am not sure what the reasonable limit of my expectations can be. What I want in the end is "gain time". Automate.

My need would be to automatically extract the top X books (let's say the top 10 or the top 25 or 50 books) about a certain topics from Goodreads (or Amazon).

By "top", I mean the books with the biggest number of ratings/review. I would also like to sort them based on their number of reviews, their overall rating note and also their publication date (the older, the better since it means the book has been resilient along the ages).

The deliverable would be a rough post with the book listed in such a format, including the different elements such as their:
  1. Title,
  2. Author,
  3. Publication date
  4. Number of pages
  5. Rating
  6. Reviews
1653863001409.png

I would also like to be able to write in between that compiled list, like adding some text paragraph and/or image for example between ranks 10 and 11, or between the batch 10 to 20 and 21 to 50. Get the idea?

Since I'm not a coder, I have no idea of the easiness / difficulty to do such a thing. I know that more and more people are going into the "no code" way, using automation tool such as Zapier and others. I also heard some people could scrape HTML that way while extracting data with RegEx, but that's all I know at this stage since this is not my field of expertise.

Does that make sense?
Thanks for your feedback, ideas, inputs,... help of any form.
I'm sure @Alex will come up with some great feedback here. Among others, hopefully...

Alex

MD developer
Staff member
Md
XFtoWP
Reaction score
You are basically describing an objective I have for the MD Bookshelf dropin which will have an API integration like goodreads to pull book data automatically and allow you to write reviews.

The deliverable would be a rough post with the book listed in such a format, including the different elements such as their:
Don't forget the book image, which is the most time-consuming part of adding book data to your site.

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Md
Reaction score
You are basically describing an objective I have for the MD Bookshelf dropin which will have an API integration like goodreads to pull book data automatically and allow you to write reviews.

Don't forget the book image, which is the most time-consuming part of adding book data to your site.
Nice to hear we're on the same page. Now I'll be blunt:
  1. I need to start that project of mine now. How would you do proceed in my shoes? After reading @Alex 's words above?
  2. How can you guarantee people not having the same sites as thousands of other sites using MD the same way? Please do not forget that most bloggers / content creators are NOT developers (2 different jobs). That may be a fear and drawback of proving a "templated bookshelf".
  3. Do you want to use my project/site as your guinea pig / lab to test, improve and reinvent MD?
The image was so much an essential to me that I forgot to mention it. It was part of the screenshot I shared anyway. I'll go further, expanding on my #2 argument above: How can MD even offer a way to detach oneself from the crowd and offer a unique, super-teasing way of promoting books (or book recommendations (kind of the same, but different - lol. I could expand on that difference privately when the time is right / if need be.)

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Staff member
Md
XFtoWP
Reaction score
I need to start that project of mine now. How would you do proceed in my shoes? After reading @Alex 's words above?
You should use what's available now even if it's not as automated as you want. There are other ways to achieve books listings than just the MD Bookshelf.

How can you guarantee people not having the same sites as thousands of other sites using MD the same way? Please do not forget that most bloggers / content creators are NOT developers (2 different jobs). That may be a fear and drawback of proving a "templated bookshelf".
I can't guarantee anything as the software is the same for everybody, and those who put more time and energy into their site will get better and different results.

Do you want to use my project/site as your guinea pig / lab to test, improve and reinvent MD?
Thank you but not necessary, I already have my own sites to do that on and I generally don't go into others sites unless it is for paid work or a support emergency.

Comment